17 November 2014

Follow the Prophet! 11-10-14

Hey hey hey! It's Hermaaaaaana Hewitt!

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats wanting to know what kind of exciting adventures have come to pass in San Diego 2. Let me just tell ya...we spent the whole week sleeping. 

Well, that's only partially true. We were practically walking zombies but I have never felt so alive! This week was marvelous! As our beloved mission president instructed, we began to use a bunch of new finding techniques and oh boy, were we blessed for our obedience!

Hermana Paredes and I were both tried immensely. There was a lot of temptation to get frustrated, to give up, to think negatively, to tell the neighbor lady to stop being such a meanie, to cry like babies, etc. Well, I won't say I didn't cry like a baby for a few minutes at one point. Nevertheless! There was also a lot of companionship prayer, a lot of working, a lot of smiling, a LOT of laughter, and a whole heap of divine guidance and strength. We worked with the Lord this week, and I know it. 

So things are picking up here in San Diego 2. We have some in-sacs, some good strong fechas, 18 new investigators (woohoo! The blood is circulating again!), and great joy in our hearts knowing that we beat the adversary this week. 

I love being a missionary! It is the hardest, most painful, most testimony-trying thing I have ever done, and as well it is one of the happiest, most rewarding, most testimony-strengthening blessings I will come to know.

If you are considering serving a mission, but you're kind of on the fence or not sure if you oughta, I invite and encourage you to kneel humbly and ask your Heavenly Father. Young men who hold the priesthood, go and don't wait. The prophet has already given you the answer. When he speaks to you, he says exactly what God wants you to know. If you don't have a personal testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith or the prophet Thomas S. Monson, you may do one or all of the following suggestions:

1. Ask the missionaries! They can help you!
2. Ask Kiersten Wilson! She can too!
3. Read the last two paragraphs of the Introduction to the Book of Mormon, as well as Moroni 10:4-6, and follow the instructions there.
4. Attend church every week.
5. Pay your tithing as quick as you receive your paycheck.
6. FAST. (This is quite the useful trick. For more information, see Isaiah 58 as well as my letter from last week.)
7. Watch, listen to, or read General Conference. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2014/10?lang=eng
8. Ask of God.

If you do these things, you will know as surely as I do that God speaks to us through the mouth of His chosen servants. I know that He does! And only those who are willing and dedicated to following faithfully the guidance of the prophets will be able to walk in the light in this ever-darkening world. 

So, because I am persistent, I repeat: All young men who hold the holy priesthood of God, that which has been restored by the prophet Joseph Smith and remains active on the earth today in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and who have at least 18 years of age, 

Serve a mission.

I promise that if you will get yourself clean and prepare yourself well, you will never ever regret that decision. Only those who choose not to listen to God will have regrets. I'm just telling you... I know it!

I'm so grateful for parents who have raised me to trust in the Savior and in the prophets. I will one day be one of those parents! (One day, very far away, because here I still am, giving it all to Perú...) Parents, be those parents who choose to lead righteous families. Children, listen to Mom and Dad. Choose to be righteous children. That will prepare you to be a righteous adults who will lead all of God's righteous children home to Him.

First and foremost, follow the prophet. Follow the apostles. Follow the seventies, the area seventies, the stake president, the bishop. They have all been called by revelation.

Ha! I was thinking the other day that I had finally stopped preaching in my emails home. Maybe it's to the choir, but you can never be too holy.

I love you all!

Hermana Hewitt

Ah yes so a fun experience. We were walking to catch the bus this morning in the middle of a bustle of people and a happy, chubby little man let out a cat-call whistle and as he passed us, he grinned and raised his eyebrows and said, "I luuuuhhhh you." 

I'm going to miss Perú.


An abandoned baby puppy that some of our investigators recently rescued. Awwwww! 



Gillies decided to borrow my camera. His loss.


We had a fantastic ward activity this week to help the investigators and the members make friends. Basically we and the elders played with all the Primary kids for an hour and a half and the Relief Society sisters chatted with our investigators. SUCCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment