06 October 2014

Working Happy 9-29-14 (pics at the end)

First off, I should probably apologize for not explaining last week that the picture was of me and a recent convert, Carmen. She is the best convert I have ever seen!

We are STILL struggling to get people to come to church. I have honestly never dealt with such difficulty in this key indicator in my whole mission! It's unbelievable! But I have scouted out ideas from smart friends and we have new plans to make it happen. The only sad part is that because of voting, there is no church this week in Perú! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! We can't see General Conference yet! Well maybe. We're still checking on that.

Sometimes I write little "To-Do" notes for myself when I am a mother, based on things I see here in Perú. One I wrote with a star by it the other day: "Do not allow your kids to be YouTube video addicts." Enough said.

So Presidente challenged the whole mission to come up with ten new finding techniques each week. My comp and I had been thinking of a few different ones before, but hadn't really broken out of the routine of street contacting and knocking doors and asking for references. But we decided to follow the voice of our noble leader and spent some extra time thinking of ten techniques. We talked about it in district meeting as well and decided to start doing weekly district activities to find. So this week we sang hymns in the San Diego outdoor market. It was an interesting experience...Elder Payne was teaching us deep doctrine between each hymn and my lungs were on fire, but we made it.

The best part is that we got some references from that activity! We went and were able to find one of them last night. His name is Felix and he was at first a little confused as to why Elder McAllister wasn't at his door (he was the one who contacted him) but he listened to us and I was surprised at how quickly he absorbed our words. Because his family wasn't there we couldn't go in and have a full lesson, but we set up another appointment. We were about to leave and I felt so strongly that I should give him a Book of Mormon, so I pulled one out of my bag and put a bookmark in 2 Nephi 31. We explained to him the purpose of the Book of Mormon and invited him to read and he just held it in his hands and grinned, nodding his head and telling us that he was going to start reading right away. 

President's the best. He knows everything. I will say it again and again.

Hahaha we went to buy bread the other day at the panadería by our house and the lady gave us an extra piece because apparently we're the "regulars." AWE MAN WE ARE WHAAAAAALES

In other news, we contacted a woman and set up a return appointment for Saturday in the morning. When we got to her house we heard "Rolling in the Deep" playing...but it was not Adele singing. It was karaoke! At 11 in the morning! We hesitantly rang the doorbell and the music continued without vocals. Then the volume was turned down. About a minute later, the same woman opened the door in her pajamas. She immediately apologized and said she was unbelievably occupied with homework and paperwork that she needed to finish right away, but that we could maybe come back later.

Look, I know I'm smiling, but that doesn't mean I believe you.

We just left giggling and hoping she gets all her paperwork done in time.

Ah so many funny things happened this week. I'll just send some pictures. But a couple good quotes:

"You have the gap of the river of Moses between you!" - Elder Gillies, telling Elder Payne to move just a tad closer to take the stinking photo. (He hasn't read the Bible in a few years.)

"I just want to hit all the little kids." - Hermana Kim, a little frustrated that we had been walking for a while and there were only the neighborhood niños playing in the street.

"Hermana Hewitt, translate 'Chupacabra.' "
 - "...suck goat?"
"GOAT SUCKER!" - Elder Payne, explaining to us the legend of the vampire-ish monster Chupacabra

"If I squint REALLY hard...and I cover my right eye...and with a LITTLE BIT of alcohol..." - Elder McAllister, describing how I might be able to find a woman who looks somewhat like my mom in the congregation of our ward.

I hope these things aren't offensive. They are extremely humorous to us missionaries. I have felt pain from laughing so hard this week. Things are good and they will be great!

I love you!

Hermana Hewitt

Photos: 
1. Hermana Kim fell asleep saying her prayers after personal study.



2. And I spent the remainder of our lunch hour...TRYING to study…



3. Here's our district/ward missionary force - our last Sunday together before Elder Payne goes home and transfers come around next week!



4. We bought shirts that say Shut The Front Door. And my companion keeps kissing me with a fish.)

Don't ask me!  I have no idea what it means either! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment